Notes from the 10 October 1831 edition of the Bridgwater Alfred:
Hamp Farm to be let for 5 to 7 years, late in the occupation of the late Mr John Knight. This farm stood on the corner of Hamp Street and Rhode Lane.
The business carried out at the Cooperage in St Mary Street, lately run for 30 years by the late Mr Thomas Criddle, cooper, being continued by his daughters, who thank the town for their patronage.
The Iron and Brass foundry in Eastover, formerly Browne, Watson, Murch & Co., is reformed by Nias and Watson. Edward Murch, meanwhile, in a separate advertisement, gives notice that he’s set up his own business at Penel Orlieu.
George Aubrey noted as Bridgwater agent of the Sun Fire Office insurance company.
A meeting of the British Society for promoting the Religious Principles of the Reformation held in Bridgwater, at the Hotel (presumably the Clarence), chaired by John Stuckey Reynolds, and a Bridgwater auxiliary to that organisation established at that meeting. Rev Robert Davis of Cannington provisional secretary, and J. Colthurst provisional treasurer.
On Monday 26 September John Ruscombe Poole was elected mayor of Bridgwater, while R. Anstice and Thomas Howel Watson elected baliffs, Richard Woodland elected Reciever of the Revenues and Edward Sealy elected reciever of the harbour duties.
Rev William Sharpe late curate of Charlinch now licenced to the curacy of Pattiswick in Essex.
Report on the success of St Matthew’s Fair (called Mathias Fair here), although a short supply of stock. The pleasure fair ‘was most numerously attended and the usual provocatives to mirth and amusement were provided for the multitude in great variety’.