Bridgwater Alfred 1.8, 26 September 1831

1831-09-26-Vol-1-no-8

Notes from the 26 September 1831 edition:

The Eastover iron and brass foundry, formerly Browne, Watson, Murch and Co is dissolved and now reformed as Nias and Watson.

Edward Murch is now setting himself up at the back of the Assize Hall in Penel Orlieu [now Clare Street] to sell cast or wrought iron goods. The name Murch can still be seen on the gates of St Mary’s Churchyard.

The Wine and Spirit business of the Chubbs, almost a century old, is being sold, including all their stock in wood and bottle.

Hamp Farm is to be let, late in the occupation of John Knight deceased, including the house, walled garden, barns, stables, 191 acres and a dwelling house for a dairyman.

The cooperage in St Mary Street, formerly run by the late Mr Thomas Criddle will continue under his daughters.

Reverend John Poole of Enmore, while returning to Bridgwater, was robbed by a man armed with pistols.

Isaac Harrison is committed to Wilton Gaol for stealing a quantity of biscuits from William Manchip, baker. This William Manchip may be from where the very popular Bridgwater Manchip gets its name.

Description of the launch of the ship, Britannia at the yard of Mr Tudor:

26 September 1831
Launch of the Britannia, described 26 September 1831
This piece of ephemera seems to have been printed for the launch. Note that the ship depicted is probably a generic print block used by the printer, and not necessarily what the vessel looked like. This was published in Squibbs’ History of Bridgwater, although its location is not now known.