In this article, Tony Woolrich outlines the history of the town’s Electricity Supply.
- 1896 Bridgwater Town Council investigate electric lighting scheme
- 1899 Bridgwater Town Council recommended to proceed with electric lighting scheme, and a Provisional Order obtained.
- 1900 Public Inquiry into application for loan from Local Government Board for funds for electricity scheme, “Anti-electricity scheme” councillors returned at election.
- 1901 Municipal electric scheme abandoned.
- 1902 Bridgwater & District Electric Supply & Traction Co formed.
- 1903 Provisional order granted.
- 1904 Electricity works foundation stone laid, Mr Walker appointed as company Engineer & Secretary, Nos 1 & 2 gas engine sets installed, supply commenced.
- 1911 No 3 diesel set installed.
- 1921 Nos 4 & 5 gas engine sets installed.
- 1923 No 6 gas engine set installed.
- 1928 Company supply area extended to cover whole of Bridgwater Rural District.
- 1930 No 7 diesel set installed. System extended to Huntspill, Pawlett, North Petherton, Cannington, Woolavington, Cossington, Chilton Polden, Shapwick and Ashcott.
- 1933 System extended to Nether Stowey and Spaxton.
- 1934 Connection made to Central Electricity Board Grid. Generation ceased.
- 1937 First electric street-lighting, Cornhill.
- 1938 System extended to North Newton and Thurloxton.
- 1939 System extended to Lyng and Durston.
- 1948 Nationalisation, Mr H Walker retired, South Western Electric Board formed.