43 Eastover, 1891-1963
The grand Bouchier Brothers shop and warehouse at 43 Eastover was built in 1891 to the designs of Basil Cottam. The architectural drawings can be seen in the Somerset Heritage Centre, A\CMY/169. The style can perhaps best be described as ‘commercial gothic’, with its pointed lancet-style windows on the second foor. This was only a branch of the Bouchier’s business in Bridgwater: their head office was in St Mary Street.
In 1929 the building was taken over and converted into the ‘Arcade Cinema’, and was still in use in 1955. The building and the adjoining properties. were demolished in 1963 for a retail and housing development.