HomeBuilt EnvironmentMaps of Bridgwater Maps of Bridgwater Thomas Bruce Dilks’ (1865-1949) Recreation of Medieval Bridgwater John Stratchey’s Plan, believed to be circa 1735. Note this map has west at the top.collection A P Woolrich Town Plan of ca. 1819collection Mr J Stuckey Contract drawing for town water supply of 1824collection A P Woolrich Bridgewater showing new (red ) and old (green ) borough boundaries, as part of a set of four towns (the others are Frome, Taunton and Wells), 1835. The whole is plate LXXV published in Samuel Lewis’s Topographical Dictionary of England steel engraved by J. & C. Walker and drawn by Robert Creighton. The borough plans were produced by Creighton to illustrate the former and present boundaries of cities and boroughs in relation to the great Reform Act of 1832. Steel engraved. Hand coloured. Printed area 10in x 7½in (approximately) overall (four plans).collection Dr P E Cattermole Plan of the western side of the River Parrett. This is post 1841 and the completion of the docks. This is pre 1854 and the demolition of the Island in High Street. However it also appears to post-date 1854 and the building of Theatre Place – that year being when the Theatre’s licence was revoked. Reproduced courtesy of Bristol Record Office RefNo.:31965[STG]/11, digitisation funded by the Blake Museum, Bridgwater Map of the District five miles around the town of Bridgwater, by Thomas Clark and Robert Down. 1853.collection of the Blake Museum,(copies available from the museum shop) Ordnance Survey Parliamentary Boundary map of 1868collection Dr P E Cattermole An extract of a larger map of c1875 by Thomas Hawksley, (1807-1893)Hawksley was consulting engineer to the Bridgwater Borough Water Committee, which shows the extent of the town then. Water was pumped from Ashford waterworks to the reservoir of Wembdon Hill. From there it flowed by gravity in the water mains down Wembdon Hill to the Maltshovel Inn, then by way of North Street, Penel Orlieu, High Street, Fore Street, Town Bridge and Eastover, ending at the junction of Monmouth Street and St John’s Street. Supply pipes would have gone from the main to nearby roads. Map accompanying John Whitby & Son’s annual Directory of Bridgwater, c.1900As well as the six buildings marked by figures it shows the locations of schools and places of worship and the railways. Later invaluable maps of Bridgwater, especially the Ordinance Survey 25 inches to the mile, can be found on the website of the National Library of Scotland. See, for instance, here.