Lost Bridgwater

Lost Bridgwater is a place to explore the demolished buildings of our town. Only a handful are listed here so far, a fraction of the total lost over the centuries and there are still many, many more to go, so check back from time to time. We also regularly update existing pages as new evidence comes to light.

Contributions are welcome, especially for more modern buildings lost in recent years, or just additions to existing pages. New or old, large or small, it all adds to our understanding of the Bridgwater of the past. From Bridgwater Castle to brickyard coal sheds, we hope to cover everything.

Articles in Lost Bridgwater are arranged in chronological order of when they were first built, with demolition dates added to the titles. You’ll see that demolition occurred in waves, with phases in the late nineteenth century, or mid-twentieth century when who areas of the town’s heritage was swept away. It is hoped we can learn from these losses and not repeat some of the more needless destruction. Once a building is demolished it is gone forever, so the likes of the George Williams Memorial Hall will not be seen again. It is hoped this will help us cherish what we have while it lasts. To help preserve the town’s heritage, consider becoming a member of the Bridgwater and District Civic Society.

Miles Kerr-Peterson Introduction updated May 2022

Before Bridgwater

Blacklands
Roman?
The Lytil Mill
Blake Street
Pre-1086-1995

Thirteenth Century

The Stone Bridge
1200-1795
Bridgwater Castle
1200-1630 or 1810
St John’s Hospital
Eastover
1200-1536
The Franciscan Friary
Friarn Street
1246-1536
The Island and Shambles
High Street
Mid 13th c. – 1854

Binford Place
13th c. – 1966
The Chapel of Horsey
first mentioned c.1280s,
abandoned between 1548 and 1570
A Lost Church of St Bridgit?
1290s

Fourteenth Century

Frog Lane, Horse Mill & the Black Boy Inn
Binford Place
1313-1741
West Street
by 1307-1966
Burials in Mansion House Lane
Possible Plague Pit
?1349?
Buildings on the Bridge 
Salmon Parade 
c.1392-c.1830

Misc Late Medieval

The Lamb Inn
High Street/Lamb Lane
Medieval to 1888.
The White Horse Inn
Penel Orlieu
Medieval to c.1900

The Castle Inn 
Fore Street
late medieval-1902
The Bull and Butcher 
High Street 
late medieval-1907
The Malt Shovel 
North Street 
late medieval-1903

The Cockmoyle Prison and Bow Lane
Cornhill
late medieval-1778
Houses Adjoining the Churchyard
Described in 1778
late medieval – c.1800

Unknown – Assumed Late Medieval

Orchard Lane, Wembdon
Execution Site?
Unknown

Sixteenth Century

The High Cross
Cornhill
1567-c.1800
46 St Mary Street
the Burrell Ceiling & St Donat’s Screen
Probably Sixteenth Century
A Grand Elizabethan House 
Blake Street 
late 16th century

Seventeenth Century

Henry Harvey’s Castle House 
King Square 
1630-1813
Henry Harvey’s House by the Bridge
East Quay 
1638-1800
Possible Plague Pit?
High Street/Lamb Lane
1665
The South Gate Almshouse
Old/New Taunton Road
1685-1887

Eighteenth Century

The Queen’s Head Inn 
St John Street
c.1700-1908
The Society of Friends’ (Quaker) Burial Ground 
Albert Street 
1721-1935
Binford House
Binford Lane/Chapel Street
?1741-1905
The Iron Bridge
1795-1884

Nineteenth Century

The Friars
Friarn Place
Early 19thc- 1983
Sion Chapel 
Friarn Street 
1822-1971
The Wesleyan Burial Ground 
Albert Street 
1830-1941
Thompson’s Ironmongers 
no.4 Cornhill, 
c.1832-1962
The Gaol 
Fore Street 
1832-1876
The Union Workhouse
Northgate
1836-late 1980s
Holy Trinity Church 
Taunton Road
1839-1961
St John’s Vicarage 
Monmouth Street 
1845-1988
St. Joseph’s Roman Catholic Chapel
Gordon Terrace
1846-1997
Gough and Nation Ship Building Yard 
Crowpill 
c.1850s-1880
The West Street School
West Street
1860-1968
The Congregational Chapel 
Fore Street
1864-1966
The Unitarian Schoolroom & Manse, or ‘Old Armoury’
Friarn Street
1865-1996
The Cattle Market 
Penel Orlieu
1875-1935
Lipton’s 
Fore Street
1876-1966
The Bristol Road Cemetery Chapels
Bristol Road
1878-c.2000
The George Williams Memorial Hall 
Eastover 
1887-1968
Bridgwater North Station 
The Clink
1890-1952
Bourchier Bros / The Arcade Cinema
Eastover 
1891-1963
Fox Fowler and Co. 
Cornhill
1894-1960s
The Post Office 
on the Cornhill
1897-1964

Twentieth Century

Nelson’s Butchers 
Fore Street 
1902-1967
Somerset Bridge School
Riverside
1903-2019
The Industrial Co-operative Society
King Street
1906-1980
The Queen’s Head Hotel 
St John Street
1908-1958
The New Market
Lower Bath Road
1935-c.2001
The Bandstand 
Victoria Park 
1936-1946
Westover School
Wembdon Road
1937-c.2000

External Links that Compliment Lost Bridgwater

Peter Higginbotham, The Bridgwater Workhouse

Clare Gathercole, An archaeological assessment of Bridgwater, 2002 (.pdf file)

Drum and Loxston, Notes on the History of St Joseph’s Parish