Bridgwater North Station was the final stop on the ‘Bridgwater Railway’ section of the Somerset and Dorset Railway. It was opened in July 1890. Behind the main station building was one large canopy over an island, serving two platforms. The station was closed in 1952, although the line remained open until 1967 for goods only. The site is now occupied by J. Sainsbury’s Supermarket.