The Friars

Friarn Street

1880s OS Town Plan
1930 50″ OS Sheet with Broadway superimposed (post 1958). The Friars buildings in b/w pictures below outlined in light blue.
Durleigh Brook in dark blue.
Sion Chapel site and burial ground now denoted by S(alvation) A(rmy) Citadel.
Source: collection Dr P E Cattermole
source: Blake Museum reference Broadway 1997-92-1a not to be reproduced without permission
Friarn Lawn with verandah on left still standing 2007.
Extreme left (west) is Old Armoury Garage with Unitarian disused burial ground behind, all now demolished and redeveloped.
Centre foreground The Friars.
Photographer standing in Broadway, looking north.
Date of photographs unknown, but presumed early 1980s (pre 1983).
source: Blake Museum reference Broadway 1997-92-2a not to be reproduced without permission
View slightly further to east. Higher wall to right is over the Durleigh Brook.
Same location on 1 September 2007 ©Dr Peter Cattermole

Dr Peter Cattermole 1 September 2007