The Church of Holy Trinity, Chilton Trinity, Somerset

The Church in 1908


The Rev. Powell on Chilton Trinity

External Links

History of the ChurchVictoria County History of Somerset
Listing ParticularsEnglish Heritage

Somerset HER Details
The Church
The Cross Socket
The Schoolroom

Pictures 2014

View from the south
View from the north
The old schoolroom
The 13th century Cross Socket in the churchyard
Gargoyles on the tower
15th century octagonal font and Jacobean cover
East Window
East Window hood moulding Left Side
East Window hood moulding Right Side
West Window hood moulding Left Side
West Window hood moulding Right Side
West Door Left Side
West Door Right Side

Other Notes on Chilton Trinity

Taunton Courier and Weston Advertiser 8 February 1933


During excavations for clay in a field near the Somerset Trading Co.’s tile fartory at Chilton Trinity on Saturday the skeieton of a man was found embedded in the clay about nine feet below the surface. The skeleton was that of a tall man and was in very good state of preservation, the teeth being still in the jaws, but it thought that it must have lain where it was found for a great many years, and that the clay helped to preserve it. Following the discovery the police were informed, and P.C. Gange of Cannington, removed the remains to the factory, a report being later made to the Coroner.