The Baptist Chapel

Research kindly supplied by Alina Wisnicka

The Chapel in about 1910


Gravestones: It tis unlikely these came from St Saviours, which was a medieval chapel, suppressed at the Reformation and left as a ruin thereafter. The stones more likely relate to the ‘Baptist Chapel burial ground’, which was closed by order of the government in 1854. The most likely location for this was either in between the front of the chapel and the row of cottages on St Mary Street, or possibly behind the chapel.