Photograph of the Golden Key, December 1892
The building appears in a photograph by Robert Gillo, taken c.1865, shows it as Akerman’s Music and Piano Warehouse (Squibbs’ History, no.37). At the time there was a Hook’s grocers was three doors down to the west, at number 14 Fore Street (Squibb’s History, no.93).
The Whitby Directory for 1883 mentions: Hook, Charles & Sons, grocers and provision merchants, Golden Key, Fore Street. Also Hook, Charles junior, grocer of Cattle Market.
In 1884, some rebuilding works behind the Golden Key revealed a portion of the moat of Bridgwater Castle, which was found to have been filled with rubbish and black mud (Squibbs’ History, p.96).
By 1933 the premises had become the World’s Stores (postcard image with postmark – see below). By 1965 the business was trading as Key Markets (Bridgwater Images of England 1, p.23) .