St Mary’s

Histories of the Church

Sydney Gardnor Jarman, A Handbook of St Mary’s Church, 1885

Arthur Herbert Powell, The Parish Church Part 1, 1907

Arthur Herbert Powell, The Parish Church Part 2, 1907

Thomas Bruce Dilks, The Church in the Fifteenth Century, 1920

Thomas Bruce Dilks, The Story of Bridgwater Parish Church, 1940

Jonathan Conibere & Frances Pearce, The Vicars of Bridgwater, 1980

Historical Sources

Royal Manuscripts Commission, An Inventory of St Mary’s, October 1447, 1873

Somerset Archaeological & Natural History Society, Description of St Mary’s Church, 1896

Index of the Papers of William Hayward Brakspear (1818-1898) Architect

Documents in the Somerset Record Office

Fabric of the Church

The North Door and Porch
13th Century
The Spire
1366-1367
Charnel House, Crypt and Nave Burials
14th century at least
The Old Vestry
1854-1902

Internal Features

Two Early English grave slabs
c. 13th century
The Credence Table
late 14th century
The Rood Screen
Fourteenth Century or Early Fifteenth
Chancel Ceiling Bosses
c.1395-1420
North Aisle Painted Angel Corbels
early 15th century
History of the Organ
1448-1823
The Corporation Pews
c.1610
The Kingsmill Memorial
1620
The Altarpiece
1650s
Pews
1850s
History of the Organ
1823-Now

The Churchyard

The Oldmixon (Bawdon) Tomb
1643-1689
The Last Burial
1866
Notes on the Churchyard
1907

The Missing Masonic Memorial
19th Century

Images of the Church

Exterior
1791-1930
Interior
1835-1937
The Choir
1920

LINKS

Church Website
Ordnance Survey bench mark (external link)
Victoria County History on St Mary’s
Visit by ANDREA ZUVICH

Also see Andy Slocombe’s website for pictures of the vicars of St Mary’s.