For a fuller history of Wembdon Church and the village, see our book
Containing 70 pages of the most up-to-date research, fully illustrated in colour throughout, with many previously unseen historic images of the village’s history. Any questions, please email here. Otherwise purchase here: Bridgwater Bookshop
See the index here.
Cover image kindly provided by the Blake Museum, Bridgwater.
St George’s Church
Wembdon is first mentioned in Domesday, although there is considerable evidence of Roman and later Saxon habitation. The meaning of the name of Wembdon is uncertain, although ‘Hill of the Hunter’ has been suggested, similar to Wedmore (the ‘Moor for Hunting’). However the name might also have some relation to Wem in Shropshire, literally meaning ‘stain’, but better understood as ‘marshy ground’ might suggest that the name means something like ‘the hill in the marsh’, which would correspond with the local topography. Before boundary changes Wembdon parish included Sydenham on the East side of the River Parrett. This might either suggest a change in the course of the river over time.
The church itself was in existence by at least the late 12th century. From 1284 it was alienated to St. John’s Hospital, Bridgwater, who collected the Tithes and appointed the vicar, up to the reformation.  The remaining medieval fabric, primarily the tower and a few walls are fourteenth and fifteenth century in date. The cross in the churchyard is fifteenth century and the surmounting crosshead was presumably removed in the seventeenth, unless it weathered away. 
On Sunday the 8th of March 1867 there was a severe fire which severely damaged the interior of the church, leaving the walls and tower. During the restoration, which finished in 1870, the nave was enlarged the white render, once characteristic of almost all of the churches in the area, was removed.  During the fire, which broke out during Sunday service, an effort was made to save the carved oak pulpit, which was similar to that of St. Mary’s in Bridgwater, but part of the roof gave way and the effort had to be abandoned.  Enough survived of it and of the Jacobean communion table that they were remade in the restoration. The new church seats about 280 and the clock on the tower was given by a Miss Galloway in 1904. 
The south west corner of the graveyard once contained the village poor house, which was converted into four cottages in the later nineteenth century, before being demolished in 1885.  Accross the road, where the old School stands, once contained the small vicarage.
The oldest monument in the churchyard is the seventeenth century Anderdon memorial. Most of the monuments in the older section of the churchyard are nineteenth century in date and the new larger churchyard extension are twentieth century.
 Ekwall, E., ed, The Concise Oxford Dictionary of English Place Names, 4th Edition (Claredon, Oxford, 1960) pp.503, 505
 ‘Wembdon: Church’, A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 6: Andersfield, Cannington, and North Petherton Hundreds (Bridgwater and neighbouring parishes) (1992), pp. 333-334
 Somerset Historic Environment Record
 Squibbs, P., More Pictures of Old Bridgwater, (Squibbs, Bridgwater, 1971) p.18, Lawrence, J, ed., Squibbs’ History of Bridgwater (Phillimore, Chichester, 1982) p.86
 Jarman, S., A History of Bridgwater (Elliot Stock, London, 1889) p.130
 Squibbs, P., More Pictures of Old Bridgwater(Squibbs, Bridgwater, 1971) p.43
Also see Rev. C. Raynar-Smith, Wembdon and its Church (1862)
Other Wembdon Related Groups
1868 Window Carvings